Noa Says "Dada"

You might be wondering if Noa is a late bloomer by the title of the post..."Don't kids learn to say "dada" sometime around one year old?"  Yes, Noa has been able to say dada for quite some time now, and her vocabulary is really starting to take off at almost two years old now, but something interesting has happened in her head lately that I just can't figure out.  She has been using the name dada to refer to me (who she should be calling "mama").  At first James and I thought maybe she just had the two names confused when when she looked at me and said "dada".  So, we began to correct her, and she can successfully say "mama" when prompted.  But she wasn't calling James "mama", she was just using his name universally.  Usually at this stage in each of our kids lives, they prefer to be with me anyways, so I usually get the joy of hearing a little voice saying "mama, mama, mama" every time they need something.
Well, I can't figure out exactly why she does it, but it seems to me that it has just become her 'go-to' word when she wants or needs something.  In the morning when she wakes up and wants out of her bed she calls "dada, dada".  When she wants to come up on the couch where you are sitting she says, "dada, dada".  When she points to something she wants you to look at she says, "dada, dada".  It has got me thinking, and wondering why she does it, and the best answer I can come up with is that God is trying to remind me what little children aught to do.  As a child of God, when I wake up in the morning, my first thoughts should be of my own, "abba" father, or in English translated, "daddy".  I should call to him first when I need something to eat, or help making food for my family, or when I don't know what the next few months ahead should look like.  I think he is trying to remind me that children of God like to call out to their daddy, and it makes their daddy really happy to hear his little children calling his name.  And for the reminder, I don't mind being called "dada" as long as she wants to!



Comments

Popular Posts