Number 6

Saturday we decided to take the whole family to Costco for a real American outing.  We knew that it would be a crazy venture, as just finding a parking spot at Costco on a Saturday can be hectic in itself, but we were up for the challenge and had nothing better to do.
It is odd to me that of all places, a store that sells everything in large quantities, is the one place I most feel like a freak show with all 5 of my kids in tow.  I was starting to think we only got stared at in Canada, but really it's the same here...entering the world of more than 5 kids puts you into the 'beyond weird' category.  The comments along with the stares are telling of what our society at large thinks about kids.  When we were loading the car up in the parking lot, Noa was the last one to be put into the car, so there James and I were standing by her as an older gentleman passed by.  He said, in a joking manner, "It's not too late to send it back, they sure do get expensive" and laughed as he walked away.  He may have meant is as a joke but really that is what society tells us, if you don't want "it", just get rid of "it", because "it" is going to cause a lot of inconveniences later on.  What a sad way to look at a child, a thing to be discarded because you don't want it.  Thankfully God also has a way of encouraging us, and as we sat and ate our yummy Costco pizza, we noticed a woman sitting with her 5 children also enjoying a pizza.  As we were leaving, we stopped by her table and in a joking tone said, "Wow, you sure do have a lot of kids".  She laughed and said, "I was just thinking the same thing about you."

I have been reminded lately not only of the beautiful gift of life we have in this child, but of the way God is using this baby to shape my life and my character.  Even if we didn't get to know this little baby beyond the womb, I am thankful for him or her.  I am hopeful that we will get to know this little life and see them through many years and even expensive undertakings.  Chaya has been a sweet little encourager through this pregnancy as she is always wanting to talk to the baby and tell them "I love you."  She has faithfully prayed throughout the whole thing, "Lord, please let this baby live and not die".  She sat down to write a letter, which she has been doing a lot of lately since she is able to read now, and I found it on the table.  Even though she got distracted and didn't finish it, just the first line was enough to bring tears to my eyes, and I couldn't agree with her more!



Comments

  1. We love having a big family and our kids love having a big family. my kids say that they'd love to have 20 or more siblings! YIKES! but, yes, the less-than-possitive comments are tough at times. thinking of you guys and your growing family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts