Traveling, African Style

I have to admit that at this point most of what I know about Africa is only theory or hearsay, but I hope to be able to learn more firsthand what it means to be African.  It is very different than our individualistic, punctual, material driven culture.  "Tomorrow" is a good time to do anything, and yet it's always a good time to have a visit from a neighbor.  The length of the greeting is more important than the actual words you say, and when it comes to getting somewhere, there's always room for one more.
Well, our travel has started to feel more and more African.  Before, we would plan our drive and decide what time we wanted to leave by so we could make it to the next place at the right time, etc.  This last trip, started with packing the car with as many belongings as we could and filling every possible seat and space inside, which is very African.  At first, we were a little concerned for our shocks when setting out, but our Toyota minivan proved to be as durable here as a Toyota Land Cruiser is there.  Each day we were not so concerned as to the time we left as we were about enjoying our breakfast with friends or just in the hotel lobby with our family.  We stopped more than usual to get out and walk around, and just enjoy the trip rather than just see it as 'getting somewhere'.
I'm sure in many ways, it doesn't even compare to traveling in Africa, but I guess it's a good start.

Here we are, just after we arrived at our new 'temporary' home, tired, but glad to be there.

Comments

Popular Posts