Becoming an Avid Reader

When Eliana started to read, it wasn't all 'coming up roses'.  I  think it wasn't until I stopped trying to help her that she really took off.  Since then she has often been found with her nose in a book, she will stay up reading way past bedtime if we are not paying attention and she often re-reads the same books again and again.  I can safely say that she has probably read more books than I did at twice her age.  One of the greatest things about kids who are good readers is that they can become avid readers of the Bible.  When Eliana was only 2 she would sit and listen to James read the Bible to her, sometimes up to an hour long.  She especially loved reading the stories from Judges through Chronicles.  Well sometime about a year ago she decided that she was going to read through the entire Bible herself.  Although she didn't finish it in a year, she didn't slow down, but kept on, day by day plugging away at the old and new testaments.  A couple weeks ago, she finally came to us and said "I'm done. I finally finished the Bible."  We are so proud of her...a feat I didn't do until I was at least 20 years old.  Eliana, I hope it is a book you will re-read many, many times over!


Comments

Popular Posts