Eau de Toilette
What does a culture do that does not use deodorant? They use lots of perfume. When you visit someone's home, it is not unusual for them to offer you perfume. It comes in a variety of smells and mediums. Some are alcohol based, and some are oils. You can get the cheap kind for a couple bucks, or buy the really expensive kind. Honestly, I don't really like many of them. Because the need to cover unwanted smells is so great in this hot climate, the perfume has to be strong. Strong perfume usually gives me a headache, so you can imagine my desire to avoid being doused with it at my neighbors homes. This week as I was visiting a neighbor, one of her daughters brought out a bottle of what appeared to be mens cologne to me. I looked at it, she motioned for me to use some, so I thought, "Ill just put some on my arms and then wash it off when I go home." But that wouldn't do, she motioned that I spray myself down. Not only that, but she told me to spray William. I had never thought before to spray a baby with cologne, but I guess sometimes they stink too. Then as I sat the bottle down on the mat, each lady and girl there took a turn spraying themselves multiple times, under the arms, in their hair, on their clothes. There was no doubt, this was going to be one good smelling bunch of ladies. I am flattered that they shared with me as this is a very kind gesture to guests. In fact, perfume and cologne is a huge part of life here and so I decided to buy James some for Christmas this year. As I smelled bottle after bottle searching for one that I liked enough for James to wear, the sales guy must have thought I was crazy, after all, didn't they all smell good? Now, anyone who comes to my home can get a good dousing of perfume before they leave.


Comments
Post a Comment