Our African Drums
One of the fun things to do in a big city is to go shopping. It isn't like shopping in the states. There are no air conditioned malls, or super stores like Walmart. Most things are sold in an open market, or a large network of buildings that look like open garages. There are never price tags, you just have to ask the price, and when they tell you how much it is, you usually can barter them down a few dollars. The other day we went to an artisan market to see what kind of local arts and crafts we could find. At this particular place all the prices were sky high because the only people that shopped there were foreigners. Knowing that fact, I only brought a limited amount of money so that I could honestly say at some point, "I don't have any more money left". I only ended up buying two small drums, an African shaped necklace charm, and postcard, but if I had an endless amount of money, I would have bought much much more. They had some pretty cool things, like 3 foot animals carved out of wood, nativity sets hand carved out of stone, beaded jewelry, paintings, baskets, pictures made out of butterfly wings, and many more african goods. Here's a shot of Chaya jiving with the new drums.



Comments
Post a Comment