Funny T-Shirts

Even though most people here don't speak any English, it is still a pervasive language!  People want to be able to speak it and some people even want us to teach them.  The most common English phrase we hear people trying to say is "How are you?" (In a heavy African accent.)  
One place though, you will always find English is on people's clothing.  I'm not sure where the clothing comes from, but a lot of kids wear clothes that have things written in English.  The kids themselves don't even know what they say, for them it's just a shirt.  It makes us laugh though.  For example, one little girl's shirt said "I Love Zombies".  Another boy on the block who is kind of a bully was wearing a shirt that said "Don't Tell My Mom" with hearts on it.  At this point, without being able to speak Arabic, we just chuckle to ourselves, but maybe someday we will be able to translate the meanings to them.  This week I saw my favorite English phrase on a shirt, and I felt it was kind of like a message from God.  Our landlord's son often comes to visit us as he lives just down the block.  He is 13 and comes from a pretty well off family.  He is proud, and can swing from being really helpful and nice, to being kind of a bully and demanding things from us or invading our yard uninvited.  The other day when he came by with a camera wanting to take a photo of he and his friend with John Hardy, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to take a photo of him with his English T-shirt.  We hope that it really is true!  

Comments

Popular Posts