One of "Those Guys"

Moving is always stressful, and our move to Quebec was no exception.  I think it culminated just before we crossed the Canadian border and the kids began continually asking questions like, "when are we going to be there", " are the dogs going to sniff our car?", "I need to go to the bathroom", "Can we go ice skating when we get there?" (Obviously there were a lot of things that needed to be explained - at another time).  I wish I could say that James and I kept our cool, and happily and courteously answered all their questions, but really we just told them that they needed to be quiet as we proceeded through the border patrol and we also ended up a bit frustrated with each other by the time we got to the other side.  I wish I could say that the moving stress didn't get to us the rest of this week, but it did.  Why is it that when stability in our lives is stripped away, we are tempted to fight and quarrel with one another.  Just another reminder that we NEED Jesus!  And for that I am thankful.  I also think being thankful is one of the best ways to fight off self-absorbed pity-party attacks (like the ones that are lurking in the back of my brain).  Being thankful for my husband is a good way to avoid bickering with him when the stress levels rise.  
Just before we moved, I found an old journal of mine, that I was writing in the year I met James.  I am not a very sentimental person and I almost threw it away with all the rest of them, but something made me save it, and I have been reading bits of it now and then.  On one page, I found had a list of things that I liked about James (written about 2 months after we had gotten to know each other.)  I can whole-heartedly say that the same is true of him today, and it was good for me to re-visit those things I am thankful for in my husband.  

1.  He loves you [God ] with his whole heart.
2.  He loves Jesus, believes on his life, death and resurrection.
3.  He seeks to live a Spirit filled life, glorifying You in everything he does. 
4.  He bases truth on your word, and desires to know you through your scriptures.
5.  He has a heart for the lost, and feels the urgency to spread the gospel...wherever you take him.
6.  He has been given a new life, and in surrendering himself to you, you have put to death the old way of life. 
7.  He seeks spiritual disciplines. 
8.  He spends time in prayer and makes it a priority.
9.  He has complete trust in your sovereignty.
10.  He desires to attain godly character. 
11.  He is compassionate.
12.  He is willing to be made a fool for you Jesus.
13.  He wants to see people healed.
14.  He is diligent, patient, peaceful, friendly, joyful, gentle, and thoughtful.
15.  He is intelligent and questioning, intellectually stimulating.
16.  He is beautiful, just my type, and an incredible smile!

The very first entry where he is mentioned, I wrote, "thanks Lord for showing me that 'those guys' do exist!"  



Comments

Popular Posts