Weeping for Africa
Last night I wept for Africa. No, I did not weep for Chad or Sudan, but for the children of Uganda. Three years ago, someone gave us a movie called War Dance, a documentary on life in a war torn country of Africa. To our shame, we never got around to watching it...until last night. It tells the stories of three children who were orphaned, captured by the enemy, and escaped to a refugee camp, and how music has helped to ease their suffering. The boy begins by saying "I am telling you my story, because if I don't, you will never hear." At that point, I knew I wanted to turn it off, and return to my happy, comfortable, American life. But I thought to myself, "If that were my son, I would want the whole world to hear."
And I am glad I know. Now, when I read Psalm 55, I understand why he says..."Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror overwhelms me. And I say, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest..." Or in Psalm 73..."Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on the earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
I pray that Americans that love Jesus would not turn away from suffering, but be willing to weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice. Watch it on Amazon streaming, or buy it, and give it to a friend when you are done.
And I am glad I know. Now, when I read Psalm 55, I understand why he says..."Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror overwhelms me. And I say, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest..." Or in Psalm 73..."Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on the earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
I pray that Americans that love Jesus would not turn away from suffering, but be willing to weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice. Watch it on Amazon streaming, or buy it, and give it to a friend when you are done.



Comments
Post a Comment