Choices


As we were driving, we passed a sign that read, “Life…it’s a child, not a choice”.  It got me thinking, about the word ‘choice’.  Lately, I have seen the word used in the Anti-Marriage Amendment campaign here in MN, describing homosexual marriage…”It’s my choice”.  Well, of course it is!  Choice has no bearing on morality.  I can choose to speed, but that won’t make it right.  I can choose to hurt those around me, but it doesn't mean that there won't be consequences.  My two year old chooses to have a temper tantrum, but that doesn’t mean that she should have her way.  It is a glorious thing that God made us as humans to be able to choose…and yet the truth is, that apart from him we will always choose wrongly.  We are corrupted by sin and God’s grace keeps us from making all the wrong choices.  Ultimately without Jesus, we will choose even our own destruction rather than eternal life.  Thankfully, God also gave us the gift to choose Him! 

It reminds me of a line in one of my favorite hymn, “How Sweet and Awful is the Place.”

"…Why was I made to hear thy voice, 
and enter while there’s room, 
when thousands make a wretched choice, 
and rather starve than come.   
T’was the same love that spread the feast, 
and sweetly drew us in, 
Else we had still refused to taste 
and perished in our sin."


Comments

Popular Posts