Encore

The word 'encore' in French can mean: still, yet, even, again, over, furthermore and anew.  Although I'm sure they exist, I can't think of any english words that can mean this many things.  And yet, as we begin our second semester, this word seems to sum up what we are doing.  We are still learning French, continuing our classes (thankfully), we are learning some things again, and needing to learn some things over, because we have not yet arrived at being able to have normal conversation with the Francophones around us.  We have, however, been greatly encouraged when we do actually get what's going on...the first time around.
One new 'help' on the agenda this semester is a program called "News in Slow French."  Imagine listening to the latest news at a quarter speed of the usual broadcast.  Sometimes it makes me laugh to think of what it would sound like in English, with people talking so slow, but then I have to remind myself to focus and pay attention to what they are saying, because it is still flying by me too fast to understand! 

Comments

Popular Posts