Questions Jesus Didn't Ask


As we read more of Jonathan Edward's reflections on Jesus in the garden, agonizing in prayer, we have been reminded of the following questions that Jesus never asked...

...When the dreadful cup was before him, he did not say within himself, 
  • why should I, who am so great and glorious a person, infinitely more honourable than all the angels of heaven, Why should I go to plunge myself into such dreadful, amazing torments for worthless wretched worms that cannot be profitable to God, or me, and that deserve to be hated by me, and not to be loved?      
  • Why should I, who have been living from all eternity in the enjoyment of the Father's love, go to cast myself into such a furnace for them that never can requite me for it?     
  • Why should I yield myself to be thus crushed by the weight of divine wrath, for them who have no love to me, and are my enemies? they do not deserve any union with me, and never did, and never will do, any thing to recommend themselves to me.   
  • What shall I be the richer for having saved a number of miserable haters of God and me, who deserve to have divine justice glorified in their destruction?   
Such, however, was not the language of Christ's heart, in these circumstances; but on the contrary, his love held out, and he resolved even then, in the midst of his agony, to yield himself up to the will of God, and to take the cup [of God's wrath] and drink it. 


May we with refreshed joy say, He's alive!

Comments

Popular Posts