Happy Anniversary....Happy Birthday!
It was the day before our 16th anniversary and I pretty much spoiled the evening by falling asleep on the couch. I didn't mean to forget that we were going out to dinner, it was just that the baby in my belly was dominating my schedule and a two hour nap was what the baby was demanding. So we decided to go out to lunch the next day which was really our anniversary. Little did we know we would be having a baby instead. All day as the contractions got closer and closer together, I contemplated the idea of sharing our anniversary with our newest son's birthday. I have to say I wasn't that thrilled with the idea at first. No more special days just to ourselves, now we would be having birthday parties instead.
As the delivery dragged on, I was starting to think that maybe we wouldn't have to share our special day with him after all. But in the last hour, Tobias decided to make his appearance into this wonderful world on our anniversary. I have decided this is a good thing in a few ways. First, what better proof of the love between a husband and a wife than their children. It is the reality of two becoming one...he is literally a mix of James' flesh and mine. Second, It is a good reminder that a marriage is not all about romance and warm fuzzy feelings on quiet nights alone. In fact it is most often characterized by just the opposite - sacrificing my own desires for the desires of others. It is a love rooted in Jesus, not my feelings. Lastly, one more benefit is that I will never forget its my anniversary again (something I have been known to do in the past.) And thats a good thing!
As the delivery dragged on, I was starting to think that maybe we wouldn't have to share our special day with him after all. But in the last hour, Tobias decided to make his appearance into this wonderful world on our anniversary. I have decided this is a good thing in a few ways. First, what better proof of the love between a husband and a wife than their children. It is the reality of two becoming one...he is literally a mix of James' flesh and mine. Second, It is a good reminder that a marriage is not all about romance and warm fuzzy feelings on quiet nights alone. In fact it is most often characterized by just the opposite - sacrificing my own desires for the desires of others. It is a love rooted in Jesus, not my feelings. Lastly, one more benefit is that I will never forget its my anniversary again (something I have been known to do in the past.) And thats a good thing!
16 years ago
My Guys
Tobias' official birthday party




Comments
Post a Comment