Just a ding in the paint...

Today while out running errands with Eliana and Noa, I dinged the paint on another car in aparking lot.  She was sloooooowly driving past me, and I was backing out.  I just barely caught the corner of her bumper with mine, and heard that faint scratching sound.  Oh no, I thought, praying that it really didn't happen, or if it did, that there was no harm done.  She was sweet, and old-er, and asked for my information, because sure enough, the paint on her bumper was cracked.  After leaving the "scene", Eliana kept asking (over and over in many different forms of the same question - as she likes to do), "why can't she just leave it...it's not that big of a deal, right?"  I tried to explain, but it still didn't satisfy, and in my heart, I was somewhat wondering the same thing.  Although I knew the answer, and there was no way around it.
So, in a moment, I asked God what he could possibly want me to learn from the whole situation, and it seemed to come to me clear as day - God does not excuse sin!  When I sin against a HOLY God, there is no wiping it away, as if it never happened.  There is no dismissing it.  God does not allow his glory to be 'dented', 'damaged', or 'defiled'.  The reality is that I am guilty, and he is just to require payment.  "The wages of sin is  death" (Romans 6:23).  No matter how small or large the sin is, the wage is the same. Every sin will find it's full payment...either in eternal condemnation, or at the cross of Christ!
Oh what a sobering reality, that though I deserve the consequences of my sin, "There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1)  Because Jesus paid the penalty for my sin, I can have my faults wiped away - as if they never happened - and receive the righteousness of Christ in their place.     And it makes me wanna shout - HALLELUJAH!!!...

Comments

Popular Posts