Being Hungry
We are beginning to settle into what's normal here, and one of the most challenging things for us is what we eat. First of all, many food items we are used to eating are difficult or impossible to find. Second, the things we do find are usually a little bit different than what they taste like at home. For example, we found black beans, but they taste a little more like black eye'd peas than black beans to me. Third, food here is pretty expensive so I find myself buying just what I think we need for the same amount of money that we ate on in the US, but oftentimes we find ourselves still hungry. It sounds funny, but I have a hard time determining if I am really hungry, or just craving something different. I don't think we have lost any weight, but I'm constantly looking for something else to eat. Saddly, I'm sure we are eating better than most people here in Chad. We read a recent report on what the world eats, and how healthy each country is. It was not surprising to read that Chad scored the worst in the entire world. They are at the bottom of the list because of the fact that 1/3 of the children in Chad are underweight, the cost of food is one of the highest in the world and the quality of food is so low.
We are grateful that God has given us all that we need to buy good food, and has supplied us with an ample supply of vitamins! Now we are asking him for creativity in preparing foods that we are new or different to us.


Have you been able to ask any locals for their favorite recipes/meals? - Veronica
ReplyDelete