Baby Steps
"Shiya, Shiya." These are the Arabic words I hear the most frequently each day. They mean "little" and when people hear me try to say things in Arabic, or tell them I don't speak Arabic, they say "Shiya, Shiya". Which either means 'Wow, she really only knows a few words', or sometimes it means "She has improved, she has learned a couple words, and she knows a little Arabic now." Either way, it is good to take some steps in the right direction, even if they are only baby steps. Most days I meet with my language helper, a 15 year old girl who lives down the street from me, I point to things and toys and I listen as she repeats the phrases over and over again. It is fun, but the repetition gets old for both of us. Thankfully we have a bit of a common language as she speaks French too.
I was hoping to add a clip of some of the first sessions we had together, learning the words for man, woman, boy, girl, baby and dog. Maybe when the internet connection is a little faster I'll try uploading it again. :(
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us...


Amen, Sister! I frequently pray that God will enable your minds and tongues to speak forth his love! - Veronica
ReplyDelete