The Garden
Every July, when the weeds begin encroaching on the plants, and some of the veggies are just beginning to flower, I wonder why I have a garden. Then every Aug and Sept. I remember...It's the tomatoes! I forget how incredible they are until I slice up a nice juicy red tomato, add a little salt and enjoy! Something you can't get at the grocery store. I am so glad we have a garden, even if the zucchini are turning into baseball bats, and the carrots are hard to distinguish between the weeds, and all the tomato plants have toppled their cages...God has done an amazing thing when he made plants to thrive on only minimal care. At least the sunflowers are behaving properly...let's just hope they open up before the frost comes. This is a picture of our 'jungle' as we like to call it.
And one of my favorite thing to do when we have a bazillion tomatoes ripe is make a pot of my favorite Tomato Basil Soup. It comes from the 'La Madelaine' restaurant in Dallas.
If you're looking for something to do with your tomato abundance, or just looking for a tasty meal, try it out...it's excellent with a hot grilled cheese sandwich! (recipe below)
4 cups tomatoes (8-10 med), peeled, cored & chopped
or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed.
4 cups tomato juice
12-14 fresh Basil leaves, chopped
1 cup whipping cream (I use half and half)
1/2 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
salt to taste
Combine tomatoes and juice in a saucepan and simmer for 30 min. over med-low heat. Cool slightly. Then place in a blender or food processor. Add basil and process to puree; this will have to be done in batches. Return mixture to saucepan. Add cream and butter. Stir over low heat till incorporated. Salt and Pepper and serve with fresh basil and hot crusty bread.
makes 8 servings.....................1 srv./237 calories & 22g. fat
And one of my favorite thing to do when we have a bazillion tomatoes ripe is make a pot of my favorite Tomato Basil Soup. It comes from the 'La Madelaine' restaurant in Dallas.
If you're looking for something to do with your tomato abundance, or just looking for a tasty meal, try it out...it's excellent with a hot grilled cheese sandwich! (recipe below)
4 cups tomatoes (8-10 med), peeled, cored & chopped
or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed.
4 cups tomato juice
12-14 fresh Basil leaves, chopped
1 cup whipping cream (I use half and half)
1/2 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
salt to taste
Combine tomatoes and juice in a saucepan and simmer for 30 min. over med-low heat. Cool slightly. Then place in a blender or food processor. Add basil and process to puree; this will have to be done in batches. Return mixture to saucepan. Add cream and butter. Stir over low heat till incorporated. Salt and Pepper and serve with fresh basil and hot crusty bread.
makes 8 servings.....................1 srv./237 calories & 22g. fat


Comments
Post a Comment