Resting in God

This week our friends in Chad stumbled upon a used book auction in the Minneapolis area. This is pretty interesting news to someone who teaches English in another country, and uses books as a main resource. Their desire has been to build a small library that they can begin to loan out to students and use in their lessons. Well this seemed like a perfect opportunity to get a lot of books at a very reasonable price. So, we called to find out more about the auction It turns out, however, that there is no way to request a certain kind of book, but when you buy a box, they will just hand you a random box with who-knows-what kind of books are inside. Could be "My Little Pony" books, or it could be a box of romance novels...and so it wasn't turning out to be such a great opportunity after all.

We did however ask if there happened to be boxes left over that we could be considered as a donation option. So this has gotten me thinking.

I know that if God wants them to have any books, he could make it happen. In fact he could give us just the right amount of books that they need, and just the right ones. Then I begin to wonder, what if we end up with a hundred boxes of books we don't want? What if they don't call back at all? With all the possibilities, do I really believe that God can make something like this happen? Should he, just because I ask him to? This is just a small scenario of everyday life, trusting that God is really sovereign.

Today I was reading some of the book, Desiring God, and was struck with the total sovereignty of God. Here are some phrases: Psalm 115:3 "Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases", or Isaiah 46:10 "My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose", or Job 42:4 "I know that you can do all thing, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted".

So, (by God's grace) I am going to quit fretting, or letting my mind wander to endless possibilities, and pray that I will rest in the fact that God does all that he pleases, and this is no great thing that he can do if he pleases. Neither would be selling our house, or raising up support for us in a year, or preparing us to move to another country, or .............etc.

Would you pray too that God would move in the heart of the 'book lady', to give just the right books for the Chadians, to bring glory to the name of Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular Posts