Telling God's story
I will recount the steadfast love of the LORD,
the praises of the LORD,
according to all that the LORD has granted us,
and the great goodness to the house of Israel
that he has granted them according to his compassion,
according to the abundance of his steadfast love.
(Isaiah 63:7 ESV)
This is just one reference in the Bible of recounting the things that God has done for his people.
I have never met a child that did not love to sit at the feet of an adult and listen to a good story! Not the kind that I usually tell though. The kind that have adventure, suspense, victory, and love. Our kids are always asking for a story, and I have come to realize that it is not a natural gift of mine. But I have recently been convinced that it can be a learned skill.
We had the privilege of joining a small group that has just started a series on storying. We have one seasoned veteran that has started us off...in Genesis 1:1...what better place to begin? And will pass the baton on to the next willing story teller to continue the Genesis story. From my little experience in teaching the Sunday school lessons to the preschoolers I have come to realize that the person that benefits most from the story telling is the one telling it. You have to really know your story in order to tell it (without reading it) in a way that captivates your audience, that highlights the things God wanted the hearers to know, and to leave them asking for more. This is the kind of story teller that I want to be for my kids, for the people of Chad, for anyone who is willing to hear. And I want to have a story always ready, so that when my kids say, "mom could you tell me a story?" I am never in lacking to "recount the steadfast love of the LORD."
Interested? Check out these links to find out more about storying:
Orality Strageties
Chronological Bible Storying
Bible Storying
the praises of the LORD,
according to all that the LORD has granted us,
and the great goodness to the house of Israel
that he has granted them according to his compassion,
according to the abundance of his steadfast love.
(Isaiah 63:7 ESV)
This is just one reference in the Bible of recounting the things that God has done for his people.
I have never met a child that did not love to sit at the feet of an adult and listen to a good story! Not the kind that I usually tell though. The kind that have adventure, suspense, victory, and love. Our kids are always asking for a story, and I have come to realize that it is not a natural gift of mine. But I have recently been convinced that it can be a learned skill.
We had the privilege of joining a small group that has just started a series on storying. We have one seasoned veteran that has started us off...in Genesis 1:1...what better place to begin? And will pass the baton on to the next willing story teller to continue the Genesis story. From my little experience in teaching the Sunday school lessons to the preschoolers I have come to realize that the person that benefits most from the story telling is the one telling it. You have to really know your story in order to tell it (without reading it) in a way that captivates your audience, that highlights the things God wanted the hearers to know, and to leave them asking for more. This is the kind of story teller that I want to be for my kids, for the people of Chad, for anyone who is willing to hear. And I want to have a story always ready, so that when my kids say, "mom could you tell me a story?" I am never in lacking to "recount the steadfast love of the LORD."
Interested? Check out these links to find out more about storying:
Orality Strageties
Chronological Bible Storying
Bible Storying


Comments
Post a Comment